Free Initial Consultation

NOTICE: We are still open but due to COVID-19, we are currently conducting client consultations and meetings in person, through ZOOM or via teleconference. Legal services and advice may be necessary now more than ever, so please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions or need assistance. You may request a meeting by phone at 210-418-1150 or by email at

Due to COVID-19, we offer client consultations through videoconference and by phone. Please contact us at 210-418-1150 or complete the contact form to set up a consultation that is best for your situation.
Protecting Your Legacy

Should you consider a pet trust?

by | Mar 9, 2016 | Estate Planning |

When we talk about trusts, we often think about how we will maintain or transfer real estate from one generation to another. We also consider how we want to leave money for young ones who may not be mature enough to handle a great deal of wealth.

For the many uses that we have for trusts, we often don’t consider how we want to take care of our pets in the event we are no longer around. Thousands of pets in Nevada are abandoned each year; many of them because their owners either pass away or are no longer physically able to care for them. Because of this, it is imperative for pet owners to consider incorporating a pet trust into their estate plans.

Essentially, pet trusts work like their definition suggests. The trust is a separate entity that the owner (i.e. the testator) can set aside property and money so that their pet(s) can be taken care of according to their wishes. A trust can also designate a person or group (i.e. the trustee) to take the pet, set provisions for their continued care, and enforce the trust itself.

Like any other trust, a pet care trust requires a great deal of planning and foresight, and an experienced estate planning attorney help you navigate the pitfalls that come with unanswered questions that can come up when you are no longer around.

If you have questions about whether a pet trust is right for you, an experienced attorney can advise you.