Free Initial Consultation

NOTICE: We are still open but due to COVID-19, we are currently conducting client consultations and meetings in person, through ZOOM or via teleconference. Legal services and advice may be necessary now more than ever, so please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions or need assistance. You may request a meeting by phone at 210-418-1150 or by email at

Due to COVID-19, we offer client consultations through videoconference and by phone. Please contact us at 210-418-1150 or complete the contact form to set up a consultation that is best for your situation.
Protecting Your Legacy

Dependent Administration

The state of Texas requires the administration of an estate if the decedent owed debts to creditors.

The Texas Probate Code outlines two types of estate administration: independent and dependent. San Antonio courts generally require that you retain an attorney, preferably one with experience in Texas probate law.

Although dependent administration is more time-consuming and costly than independent administration, this method is sometimes required when beneficiaries cannot get along or when court oversight is required. Additionally, because there are more stringent requirements for creditors to which the estate owed money, it is sometimes preferable when there are considerable debts owed by the estate.

In San Antonio, Texas, the experienced probate and dependent administration attorney who can skillfully assist with your dependent administration of a loved one’s estate is Russell Aldrich, founder of the Aldrich Law Firm, PLLC.

Russell Aldrich has served Bexar County clients with distinction for years. He knows how to protect your legacy — with in-depth legal knowledge of estate and probate law, attentive personal service and a reputation for positive results.

Aldrich Law Firm, PLLC — Personal Attention And Cost-Effective Solutions For Bexar County Clients

The main difference between independent and dependent administration is court oversight. In an independent administration, the independent administrator can sell assets, pay debts, transfer property and make distributions without the need for approval from the probate court. Dependent administrators, on the other hand, must request court permission, which involves the drafting of legal documents and hearings in front of a probate judge.

A probate attorney will be required to assist the administrator throughout the dependent administration, which can take up to a full year or more.

The requirements for a dependent administration can be extremely complex and overwhelming to the lay person. Do not attempt to handle this kind of challenge yourself. You should contact Russell Aldrich and Aldrich Law Firm, PLLC, for sound advice and solid support that can make a difference.

Are you looking for a skilled lawyer who knows how to resolve heir disagreements with court supervision? Call 210-418-1150 or sending an email message.

Contact Us Today

Online Payment Service

Russell Aldrich founded the Aldrich Law Firm in 2011.

read more